Transitioning to College
The EOC @ CSULB program is designed to identify and assist adult participants who want to enter, re-enter, continue or enroll in a program of post-secondary education. The EOC's mission is to assist program participants reach their educational and career goals by providing quality information, guidance and services. EOC provides free information and assistance to individuals who meet the program criteria.
The Educational Opportunity Center is a federally-funded program designed to assist qualified adults to enter or continue a program of post-secondary education. There is no cost to the participant for services.
The ACCUPLACER is a widely used placement exam given at the time of enrollment used by community colleges and universities.
Academic advisors and counselors at your college or technical school use your ACCUPLACER test results to help place you in classes that match your skill level. ACCUPLACER tests help identify your knowledge, strength, and needs in math, reading, and writing. Along with information about your academic background, goals, and interests, your ACCUPLACER results help you choose courses that match your skill level and give you the best opportunities for success.
- College Basics - Insider tips on the college application process for students (& parents, too!)
- Education Online Search - Education Online Search is a college and career education portal, to help you learn about careers and the schools offering education and degrees for the fields you choose. You'll find a collection career articles and education articles intended to guide you through many aspects of your search, including career descriptions, financial aid tips, advice for adult learners, info on standardized college tests, and more. You'll also find a directory of colleges which let you fill out an online form to request detailed school and financial aid information. The educational organizations listed on this website have paid to be listed.
- The College Board - The College Board is a mission-driven not-for-profit organization that connects students to college success and opportunity.
Founded in 1900, the College Board was created to expand access to higher education. Today, the membership association is made up of over 6,000 of the world’s leading educational institutions and is dedicated to promoting excellence and equity in education.
Each year, the College Board helps more than seven million students prepare for a successful transition to college through programs and services in college readiness and college success — including the SAT and the Advanced Placement Program. The organization also serves the education community through research and advocacy on behalf of students, educators and schools.
Transitioning to the Workforce
- Career Cruising - Career Cruising is a self-exploration and planning program that helps people of all ages achieve their potential in school, career and life.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook - The Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations (from a national perspective).
- California Career Resource Network - The California Career Resource Network (CalCRN) program in the California Department of Education provides career development information and resources to support development of the critical career self-management skills necessary for success in today's world of work. Begin with a review of the CalCRN Resource Handbook (PDF), then jump directly to the resources with the links below.
- California Employment Development Department Labor Market Information - The Labor Market Information Division (LMID) is the official source for California Labor Market Information. The LMID promotes California's economic health by providing information to help people understand California's economy and make informed labor market choices. We collect, analyze, and publish statistical data and reports on California's labor force, industries, occupations, employment projections, wages and other important labor market and economic data.
- Los Angeles County Human Resources - Information about job opportunities for the County of Los Angeles.
Adult Basic Education and Adult Secondary Education/High School
Khan Academy - A personalized learning resource for all ages. Khan Academy offers practice exercises, instructional videos, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. We tackle math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more. Our math missions guide learners from kindergarten to calculus using state-of-the-art, adaptive technology that identifies strengths and learning gaps. We've also partnered with institutions like NASA, The Museum of Modern Art, The California Academy of Sciences, and MIT to offer specialized content.
English as a Second Language
Stand Out Student Resources (like the audio for your textbooks) are available online http://ngl.cengage.com/sites/stand-out/student.